What Every ESL Teacher Needs to Know
“I have tried to balance classroom advice with the reasons for the advice, grounded in research evidence. I think it’s important--if you want to grow as a teacher--that you have not only a bag of tricks, but a base from which to discuss your classroom with other teachers.” – Steven Brown
This e-single is an introduction to task-based listening for ESL/EFL teachers who are looking for ways to do more in their listening classes than ask students to answer comprehension questions about something they listened to.
In this short ebook, Steven Brown, author of Listening Myths: Applying Second Language Research to Classroom Teaching
and a well-known ESL/EFL listening textbook series, defines task-based listening (TBL) and describes:
- how to build a task-based listening program
- how to create a task-based listening lesson
- ways to activate vocabulary acquisition in listening tasks
- how listening can improve grammatical knowledge
- the links between listening and pronunciation
- the ways that metacognitive strategies can assist students when listening, particularly when listening to lectures
- the advantages of extensive listening (especially while reading)
- the benefits of interactive listening, including how to design a good speaking task
All chapters include specific tips and suggestions for using these concepts in the classroom.
You May Also Be Interested In
Available for sale worldwide
Add to Cart
- EPUB: Adobe Digital Editions e-book (DRM Protected)
Add to Cart
Choosing any of the above format options will take you to the appropriate e-retailer to complete your purchase. Pricing may vary by individual e-retailer. Please see e-retailer site for purchasing information.
For more information about our Digital Products, visit our Digital Products page.