Step Up to the TOEFL(R) iBT for Students at the Basic Level (with Audio CD)
A Michigan Guide
Developing Essential Skills, with Audio CD
Step Up to the TOEFL® iBT is a series of skills-based textbooks that helps low-intermediate and intermediate students prepare to take a step up toward success on the TOEFL®. These are not a test-preparation books: instead, the books teach some of the fundamental vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation skills necessary for the test.
Although the TOEFL® does not directly score vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, weaknesses in these areas will severely impair students' performance on all areas of the test. Therefore, every point covered in Step Up to the TOEFL® iBT will benefit test-takers on one or more sections of the test.
Each of the eight units addresses one rhetorical function and includes:
- Learning Targets and their relevance to the four sections of the test
- Getting Started questions to activate prior knowledge
- two Vocabulary You Need topics that introduce a range of key words used to
- accomplish the unit function
- a Vocabulary Skill to build learner autonomy in vocabulary acquisition
- two Grammar You Can Use topics that strengthen students' receptive and productive language
- samples of (near) test-level use of the grammar from The Michigan Guide to English for Academic Success and Better TOEFL® Test Scores and A Michigan Guide: Step Up to the TOEFL® iBT for Intermediate Students
- a Speaking Clearly point focusing on basic pronunciation
- Skill-Building Exercises that practice the language point through high-interest reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities
- iBT Practice Exercises that give students practice in using the language point in tasks similar to ones on the actual test (including the integrated speaking and writing tasks) but at their level of competency
- Step Up Notes with useful hints and tips about stepping up to the TOEFL®
- Word Boxes for reading and listening exercises that gloss additional useful words
- a Vocabulary Review that lists all the new words in the unit; these words have been recorded and appear on the companion website for further pronunciation practice
- a Spelling Skills exercise that practices five key words from the unit.
Copyright © 2010, University of Michigan.
You May Also Be Interested In
Available for sale worldwide
Add to Cart
- Paper with CD