- 6 x 9.
- Out of Stock
- $83.00 U.S.
State legislatures have changed more than perhaps any other American political institution in the last two decades, argue Gary F. Moncrief and Joel A. Thompson. This volume examines those changes and explores their impact on the individual legislator.
The editors have assembled a group of leading state legislative scholars, who address changes in the composition of the legislature; entry and exit issues; campaign financing; elections; midsession vacancies; committee systems; and legislative leadership.
Changing Patterns in State Legislative Careers covers a timely topic, given the recent movement in a number of states to limit legislative terms. It will be of interest to those who study legislative behavior, American political institutions, organizational change, and elections.
Contributors: William Pound, Joel A. Thompson, Gary F. Moncrief, Charles S. Bullock III, Patricia Freeman, William Lyons, Harvey J. Tucker, Ronald E. Weber, David Breaux, Malcolm Jewell, Anthony Gierzynski, Keith Hamm, David M. Olson, Ronald Hedlund, Peverill Squire
Part 1 Changing Patterns: The Legislators 5
1. State Legislative Careers: Twenty-Five Years of Reform
William Pound 9
2. Nativity, Mobility, and State Legislators
Joel A. Thompson and Gary F. Moncrief 23
3. Minorities in State Legislatures
Charles S. Bullock III 39
4. Female Legislators: Is There a New Type of Woman in Office?
Patricia Freeman and William Lyons 59
Part 2 Changing Patterns in the Electoral Connection 71
5. Electoral Change in U.S. States: Systems Versus Constituency Competition
Harvey J. Tucker and Ronald E. Weber 75
6. Winning Big: The Incumbency Advantage in State Legislative Races
David Breaux and Malcolm Jewell 87
7. Legislative Caucus and Leadership Campaign Committees
Anthony Gierzynski and Malcolm Jewell 107
8. Midsession Vacancies: Why Do State Legislators Exit and How Are They Replaced?
Keith Hamm and David M. Olson 127
Part 3 Careers inside the Legislature 147
9. Accommodating Member Requests in Committee Assignments: Individual-Level Explanations
Ronald Hedlund 149
10. Changing State Legislative Leadership Careers
Peverill Squire 175
11. The Evolution of the State Legislature: Institutional Change and Legislative Careers
Joel A. Thompson and Gary F. Moncrief 195
Appendix. A Note on Term Limits and State Legislatures 207