Like its predecessor, the third edition of Academic Writing for Graduate Students explains understanding the intended audience, the purpose of the paper, and academic genres; includes the use of task-based methodology, analytic group discussion, and genre consciousness-raising; shows how to write summaries and critiques; features "language focus" sections that address linguistic elements as they affect the wider rhetorical objectives; and helps students position themselves as junior scholars in their academic communities.
Among the many changes in the third edition:
- newer, longer, and more authentic texts and examples
- greater discipline variety in texts (added texts from hard sciences and engineering)
- more in-depth treatment of research articles
- greater emphasis on vocabulary issues
- revised flow-of-ideas section
- additional tasks that require students to do their own research
- more corpus-informed content
The Commentary has been revised and expanded.