Butterflies of the Great Lakes Region
A unique and beautifully illustrated field and reference guide to the true butterflies of the Great Lakes watershed
The Butterflies of the Great Lakes is the first of its kind to present an overall picture of the biology of butterflies inhabiting the Great Lakes region. The straightforward approach and clear writing style make this book very understandable to the educated lay public as well as stimulating to professional biologists.
- An introductory section about the important geographic features of the Great Lakes region
- The climate factors that have affected the butterfly fauna and their distribution within the region since the retreat of the glaciers 10,000 years ago
- Descriptions of ancient environments and habitats of the Great Lakes
- Line drawings and award-winning color photographs of butterflies under natural field conditions
- The most recent information concerning each species' taxonomy, identification, adult food sources, adult habitat, behavior, and ecology
- A complete life history and description of typical larval host plants used by each species
- A section on the important practice of collecting, preserving, and conserving butterflies
- Extended reference section and glossary complete the book
Praise / Awards
"This easy to use field guide contains all the details you'll need to identify butterflies."
—Connie Krochmal, suite101.com
"The meat of the book lies in the guide to the various species. It is richly furnished with information about the natural history of the different butterflies, including ranges, food sources, habitats and distinguishing marks. The text and photographs make it easy to identify species, whether you're an expert or a novice. Even if you don't know a Hoary Hairstreak from a blue rinse, with a little patience, you'll soon find yourself right at home with the local lepidoptera. . . . Anyone who reads this book and uses it will only come away with an increased sense of wonder and appreciation for these ephemeral creatures of summer."
—Rick Sullivan, Grand Rapids Press
You May Also Be Interested In
Available for sale worldwide
Add to Cart
Add to Cart